GUEST READER REGULATIONS & APPLICATION
The special collections of the Athenaeum are made available to all serious readers. Willingness to observe the following regulations is the only requirement.
- One-time on-line registration is a pre-requirement for in-person use of Athenaeum special collections. Use the form at the bottom of this page to register. In person appointments will not be granted to anyone who has not pre-registered.
- All in-person research is by appointment only. Once you have registered, please click here to schedule an appointment.
- Schedule appointments at least one week in advance. Because approximately 75% of Athenaeum special collections are stored off-site, most requested items will have to be called for in advance. Delivery of materials from off-site can take up to 10 days.
- No readers are allowed access to the Athenaeum’s special collections unattended.
- All stack areas above and below the 2nd floor are closed. Materials required from closed areas should be requested from the reference staff. The materials will be brought to the reader.
- No items from the Athenaeum’s special collections will be circulated.
- Smoking, eating and drinking are not allowed at any time in the reading room.
- Cell phones must be silenced before entering the reading room.
- Pencils are the only writing tools permitted when using special collections at the Athenaeum.
- No tracings may be made from any item in the special collections. No books, papers, or other objects may be laid on collection materials. Book cradles and drawing weights will be provided by the reference staff on request.
- Flash-free, hand-held photography is permitted. Scanning by handheld devices is not permitted.
- The Athenaeum’s Regional Digital Imaging Center can provide high resolution digital images or prints of any special collection item. Please speak to the reference staff or click here to place an order.
- The reader is fully responsible for items charged out until they are returned to the reference staff.